Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Paleo Chicken Caulifredo Bake, as Told by Mean Girls

"You guys, this Chicken Caulifredo Bake is so FETCH!"

"Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen. It's not going to happen. And also, stop trying to make caulifredo happen. Noone knows what you're talking about anyway."

"Yeah...and why is it white?

"Oh my god, Karen, you can't just go around asking people why their food is white!"

"Well, Regina, since you're trying to lose three pounds, I decided to try this recipe for a Paleo Chicken Caulifredo Bake."
"Whatever, I'm getting cheese fries."

"Regina, I have an idea--let's go to Taco Bell!"

"I can't go to Taco Bell, I'm on an all-carb diet. GOD KAREN, you're so stupid!!"

"Actually, Regina, when you're trying to lose weight (or just get healthy in general), it's better to focus on adding protein and fibrous veggies to your diet, not carbs."

"How do you know that, Cady?"

"Because my mom used to feed the starving kids in Africa these bars full of carbs. I dunno, it was pretty grool."

[puzzled looks]

"I started to say great and then I said cool instead..."
"She's totally right Regina. That's why I made this Chicken Caulifredo Bake. It's these incredible zucchini noodles, shredded chicken, peas, caulifredo sauce, and a paleo biscuit topping!"

"Interesting...where did you find this recipe?"

"This fetch blog, CupcakesOMG! It's not like a regular blog, it's a cool blog."

"Wow, Gretchen, this is actually pretty good."

"Oh my god...really?? I'm so glad you like it. This might be a good time to ask if I can start wearing white gold hoops again...?'

"Boo, you whore! No."

"Get in loser, we're going [grocery] shopping."

Paleo Chicken Caulifredo Bake
Makes about 12 servings
**Shout out to The Road Less Processed on Instragram for the inspiration!
  • 1 lb. chicken thighs
  • 4-5 large zucchinis
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1-2 cups caulifredo sauce
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
  • 3 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; saute in coconut oil over medium heat until cooked through.
3. Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool slightly before chopping or shredding with a fork.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, peel "noodles" of zucchini. You should get about 2-3 cups of "noodles."
5. In a large, rectangular pan, combine chicken, zucchini noodles, peas, and caulifredo sauce until everything is well covered in sauce (more or less if you like).
6. To make biscuit topping, combine coconut flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt in a medium mixing bowl.
7. Add coconut oil, vinegar, and squash to dry mixture with a fork until incorporated. Add eggs one at a time, mixing into dough with a fork. Batter will NOT be loose or "doughy." It will be a bit spongey, kind of...
8. Using a regular spoon, drop dollops of biscuit batter on top off the bake. This made about 12 smallish biscuits for me.
9. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until biscuits are browned on top and cooked all the way through. Serve hot.

6 comments:

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

This looks so good! I always just grill meat and have a side of veggies. You're creative.

Gayla said...

This looks beautiful! Did you have leftovers or did it all disappear in one sitting!?

melindarose said...

Haha! Loved the Mean Girls dialogue and this recipe looks delicious...it's definitely on my "to try" list.

Lydia Armstrong said...

You're brillz.

eliz said...

To die for! Thank You!!

Unknown said...

you managed to get SO MANY of my favorite movie quotes into this recipe that I think I'll have to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...