Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Not So Hidden Valley: Paleo Ranch Dressing

Let's not mince words: Ranch dressing is delicious. If you don't agree, might I point you here? I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm not of the "RANCH ALL THE THINGS!!!" camp, but I have been known to dip my Buffalo wings in a side of the stuff and I'm certainly not above pouring that shit all over a boring salad!!
Since adopting a paleo lifestyle though, Ranch dressing, even as a CONCEPT, has been off limits. Instead, I've had to get by on like, olive oil and balsamic crap or whatever else I can figure out to emulsify with vinegar (though this isn't bad a'tall). But salad dressing impersonators be damned! Because I've found a paleo Ranch dressing that is so good, I will never buy the bottled crap again!
 
I made this salad just so I could enjoy this dressing, btw.

Happy face lettuce leaf says "make this salad dressing...or the lady eats me!" (Spoiler alert: he's dead now.)

Paleo Ranch Dressing
By Paleo Table
  • 1 cup paleo mayonnaise
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken
  • 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced into a paste with a bit of Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Whisk all ingredients to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Store in the refrigerator for however long it doesn't go bad.

20 comments:

Gayla said...

Nice! Sounds delicious! And I love that bottle!

Amanda said...

Does it not taste like coconut? That's my only hesitation about paleo ranch dressings... I don't want it to taste like coconut!

CupcakesOMG! said...

@Amanda--I don't think it tastes like coconut at all, but I generally feel that way about coconut milk. I know some people are really sensitive to it, so you'll have to try it to know I guess, but there are so many other dominant flavors that I doubt you will!

Daielle said...

Do you have a recipe for paleo mayo?

CupcakesOMG! said...

@Daille, I don't have one posted by a simple Google search will provide you MILLIONS!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I'll have to try this! I've been looking for a different salad dressing! :)

Samara said...

Check it out, this recipe just got a shout out on Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weekend-link-love-262/#axzz2fiq7I0Dm

Mazel Tov!

Unknown said...

Do you have a link to Paleo Mayonnaise? I'm a newb, going on 30 days Paleo and I haven't made mayonnaise yet.

Kelly S. said...

Best Paleo mayo I've found:
http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/condimentssauces/homemade-mayo/

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

This is almost exactly the way my mom makes it! I put it on everything and I'm not sorry.

Unknown said...

Yum! I'm on Day 4 of whole30 and I need ranch! Also for my kids, I make them eat veggies without it but let's face it, a little paleo ranch is a fair trade for my 2 and 3 year old to tell me how much they love SALAD.

Unknown said...

I'm so hoping this is a winner. Been without ranch in the house for almost a solid year and I MISS IT!! Having a kid intolerant to any dairy form is hard and then I went and put whole family on Paleo. Been a challenge, but getting better...here's hoping for delicious ranch dressing again!!

Barbara said...

I'm fairly new to the Paleo lifestyle but becoming quite adept. I do have one problem. I am allergic to all things coconut. Can I use almond milk in this recipe? Any other suggestions? Right now Ranch dressing sounds so appealing.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I think almond milk might be too thin, but you could try it. Maybe start with half the amount of coconut milk called for and then add a little at a time until it is the right flavor and consistency.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, it's absolutely delicious and super easy to make. Thank you!!!

Rose said...

Soooo good! Best paleo ranch dressing recipe I've tried. The fresh dill and garlic really make it. I can't even tell its dairy free, and couldn't taste the coconut milk either (as I was a little concerned about). Thank you for this amazing recipe!

Secret Valley Turkey Properties said...

Delicious!!

Julia said...

Can you use garlic powder or salt or dried minced garlic? What is the shelf life? Thanks!

Tammi said...

This is the first Paleo ranch dressing I have tried and will be the only one I use from now on. It's ah-mazing! I divided the recipe in half when I first made it (only in an effort to ration my homemade mayo). It was consumed in one sitting. This definitely makes me want to eat more salad. I've even gotten real creative with salads (BLT salad is pretty amazing).

nikkita321 said...

This is delicious! This is a great paleo mayo recipe...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...