Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Faux-tato Salad


I'm just gonna put this out there: I love potato salad. There's nothing chic about boiled potatoes, mayonnaise, and pickles served cold, but in the words of Thelma Harperhot damn it's delicious.

I don't even care that a notoriously summertime dish may seem unseasonable as of next month--having come up with a paleo version of potato salad is probably the most brilliant thing I've done all month. 


I've cleverly given this dish the moniker "faux-tato salad" because, as you could presume, there are no potatoes in it. Can you guess what replaced the potatoes???


Yep, my ol' standby, cauliflower. I feel like the McGuyver of paleo cooking, lately--give me a coconut and a head of cauliflower and I can make you a three course dinner.


While I could wax poetic about how delicious this is, I'd rather you just make it and come back to tell me how much you loved it. And as you do that, think about the various health benefits linked to cauliflower:
  • After citrus fruits, cauliflower is your next best natural source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that appears to help combat cancer.
  • 1 cup of cauliflower contains only 30 calories.
  • Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin K and a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids (in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA), two hallmark anti-inflammatory nutrients, helpful for decreasing risk of cancers and cardiovascular diseases.
  • A cup of boiled cauliflower contains about 3.35 g of dietary fiber, which helps clean your digestive system (in other words, it helps you poop!).

If pooping with more regularity doesn't pique your interest, then, *snort*, I don't know what will!!


Faux-tato Salad
makes about 8  1/2 cup servings
*Feel free to add your own mix-ins (green olives, onions, bacon, capers, etc.)

  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 pickles or 3 Tbsp. relish (I used pickles because I was too lazy to buy relish. Incidentally, I like the rustic look of the chopped pickles)
  • 1 tsp. dried dill
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup mayo
  • 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard

1. Roughly chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, then place in a pot of boiling water. You need enough water to cover the cauliflower. Cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender.

2. Drain cauliflower well and then refrigerate for a few hours.

3. In the meantime, boil 3 eggs (for best result, add eggs to water before boiling, then bring to a hard boil for about a minute. Turn off burner and let sit for about 5 minutes). Remove the eggs and allow those to chill for a few hours as well.

4. Once the cauliflower and eggs are chilled, you can further chop the cauliflower and dice the eggs. If you're using pickles, dice those as well.

5. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients until everything is covered. Refrigerate for another hour before eating.



5 comments:

Layered Black said...

That looks straight up delicious!

Anonymous said...

I think that's what's for dinner tonight at my place. Have to try it!

Meg O. said...

That actually sounds really good!

CandaceHolmes said...

This dose look delicious but for some reason cauliflower seems to be too sweet when I try to use it in recipes instead of potatoes. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the cauliflower taste less sweet? Maybe add salt to the water when boiling?

Sadhna Grover said...

This is good idea of introducing cauliflower, can we replace egg with something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...