Monday, April 11, 2011

The $66 Million Dollar Cupcake

Here at CupcakesOMG!, I've never been one to suggest that cupcakes are a "fad". In fact, I tackled this very topic last year. But after watching this particular video about cupcake-juggernaut Crumbs' plans to go public, I can't help but admit I'm a little worried about them.



I KNOW the media's job is to make mountains out of...crumbs (I was a journalism major, after all), but this reporter really started to drive the point home when he brought up the doom and gloom subject of Krispy Kreme.

Long before cupcakes were my pastry-of-choice, I was pretty into doughnuts. I was thrilled when Krispy Kreme opened up shop in my neighborhood in junior high. It was one of the few things my pre-teen-self didn't mind doing and risk being see with my Dad! Fast forward a few years, and Krispy Kreme's all over the country were suffering the same fate: bankruptcy. It's such an ugly word to describe such a beautiful thing, but just as Crumbs' owner suggests, the franchises were their downfall.

Luckily, it appears as though the owners of Crumbs have really evaluated the failures of their baked good counterparts, so I'm really hoping they do well. And NOT just because I'm sick of Georgetown Cupcake getting all the attention. Besides, I need to start investing, and frankly, I can't think of a more appropriate stock for myself!! Well, unless "pretty" is a stock I can purchase...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...