Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Newsflash: Not All Redheads Look Like Each Other

{Dress: Zara; Necklace: Spike the Punch; Heels: Antonio Melani--similar; Sunglasses: Thierry Lasry; Lipstick: Nars Schiap topped with Chanel Jalousie}

I wore this amazing Gwyneth Paltrow-wearing-Tom-Ford-at-the-2012-Oscars-esque dress to a friend's wedding this weekend. I snatched it up after seeing Jenna mention it for a similar occasion a couple months ago. Little did I know when I threw it on with a bouffant hair-do and a hot pink lip that I'd be compared to everyone from Joan Holloway on Mad Men (which I can understand given the retro-ness of the whole look) to the Red Witch on Game of Thrones!
Look--I GET it! I'm "classically" beautiful, yaddi yadda yadda. And while I think Christina Hendricks is a beautiful woman, who I might even remind people of, I can't pretend to not be annoyed by a comparison to whomever this is...not because she isn't attractive, but because I don't look anything like her.
For some reason, people look at redheads as though we're just one DNA strand away from each other. As if sharing a tinge of coloring automatically renders us each other's dopplegangers. I've gotten all kinds of random comparisons through the years, from Julianne Moore to Kate Winslet, but that Red Witch thing just made me snap! Again, not because the actress that plays her is unattractive, but because at the end of the day, my face looks nothing like ANY of these women. For what it's worth, I never drew those comparisons before I started coloring my hair (Spoiler Alert: this isn't my natural color!).
So next time you meet a redhead, don't tell her she looks like Lucille Ball or Debra Messing or Florence Welch (all amazing and gorgeous woman) or some other random Ginger who comes to mind, because the fact of the matter is she probably doesn't and you're just being unoriginal. 
 Oh, and I wore this dress with pink lipstick to avoid feeling too vintage-y. I guess it didn't work...?
 I mean, shit. It could be worse, right? I could be compared to this guy.

16 comments:

P!nky said...

AMEN!

I mean, I'm not a red head, but I'm short/petite and man I get tired of people telling me I look like a gymnast. UGH SERIOUSLY, wtf peeps ;)!

Love the red dress, you look smashing.

Megan said...

You looked stunning! I hope the people still noticed the bride ;p

Kerri @ Holly Muffin said...

Isn't this the total truth? You look nothing like her, first of all. And yes, as a fellow redhead, I agree that people just group us as all looking the same (there are 50 shades of red too!). Love this post!

Jenna | The Eighty Twenty said...

You look awesome! The dress looks great and wasn't it so comfortable? love it! And I used to get Avril Lavigne a lot when I had chunky higlights and lowlights. fml

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

I get every single white girl with bangs. Even Rashida Jones, who is not even white. I feel you, Joan.

Anonymous said...

My other favorite red head comment..."you're so pretty for a redhead"...what does that mean!? :/

Cynthia said...

I totally agree with you. People should just say you look stunning instead of OMG you look like so and so...sometimes I feel like it's a backhanded compliment. So annoying!! BTW, totally frigging dying over the Carrot Top pic...classic :)

Lydia Armstrong said...

You look super glam.

Julann said...

I always got Molly Ringwald... still my kids see old pics of me during high school and they say it.

MaggleBish said...

OMG, you totally look like Alyson Hannigan, Conan O'Brien, D.H. Lawrence, Ewan McGregor, Florence Nightingale, Genghis Khan, Prince Harry and everyone else listed on this List of Redheads from Wikipedia! ... So annoying.

Anonymous said...

they told you that you look like the horrible witch lady??!! HOW RUDE!! you are 80 million times prettier than her. i hate when people think all people with the same hair color are the same.

domliveblog.com said...

I get the same thing *all the time*... Alyson Hannigan, Laura Prepon (a lot!), Lauren Ambrose... All those chicks are way hotter than me and I simply don't look like any of them. I have red hair, that's it.

Meg O. said...

I happen to think you look like MELISSA!!! :) Also, love the ensemble (as always)!

Jen @ Marshmallows and Margaritas said...

The same thing happened to me all the time when I had my hair red (also not naturally). I got Amy Adams, Debra Messing, Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman... and not only do I have very few features in common with any of those (all gorgeous) ladies, none of them look like each other, so something is clearly amiss. And I never got any of those comments when my hair was blonde (I did get Reese Witherspoon a lot, though, circa Legally Blonde).

Today, someone said something about my computer being "a Dell" and someone else said, "yeah, she does sort of look like Adele." I don't even know what I should think about.

Jen @ Marshmallows and Margaritas said...

Oh, also, that dress is fabulous on you. I love the choice of pink lipstick with it, too!

Katie said...

I have been told that I look like the girl from the Exorcist and the girl from the Ring...so it could be worse.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...