I had half a mind to just write one line for this entire post:
What can really be said about chicken salad that hasn’t been said before?
And then that would have been the end. Badass, right?? But because I’m too arrogant to let brevity speak for itself, I’m writing more than that. I mean, I have to because how else would you know what makes THIS chicken salad more delicious than all the others before it? Because there’s a secret ingredient in here that makes ALL the difference that you can’t see with the naked eye and that you might simply overlook in the recipe. That miracle of miracles? Cumin.
I had a pretty big build up for that, so I guess it was destined to disappoint, but really, it makes a difference, so don’t omit it from the recipe, okay?!
I also tossed in red grapes, my chicken salad standby, but I got a little crazy with some tarragon and chopped walnuts too. The juicy grapes with the crunchy walnuts and the warm flavor of cumin really hits you—kinda like the way opening your credit card statement does, only with less sads!
Has anyone else does this, with the cumin in their chicken salad?? Who else uses grapes? What's your preference for chicken salad?
Cumin Chicken Salad
- 4 large chicken breasts
- ¼ cup mayo (homemade is best); or start with a couple Tbsp and work up to as much or as little mayo as you like
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ cup red grapes, halved
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, chopped (more/less if you prefer)
- 1 tsp cumin (NOT optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare your chicken the way you like; I steamed mine because I like to do it that way. Allow to cool, then chop into bite-sized chunks.
2. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients until well mixed. Refrigerate for a few hours and serve!