Tuesday, May 29, 2012

TwoFaced Tuesday: Shrimp

"TwoFaced Tuesdays" is a joint venture between CupcakesOMG! and Jenna from The Paleo Project. Each week, we select one secret ingredient and put our own paleo spin on it. You can catch up on the entire series here. Also, if you have any special ingredient requests, you can always tweet us (@CupcakesOhMG and @ThePaleoProject) using the hashtag #TwoFacedTuesday.
After four years of dating, Kyle and I have fallen into a comfortable routine of Netflix marathons, inside jokes, and weekend dinners with friends. To me, these routines are the best part of being in a relationship--being who you truly are with someone else who totally digs it. Of course, the early days of dating weren't so bad, either. That's when we used to go on dates. 

Like, we go on dates now, but they're "we've been dating for four years" dates. I'm talking about the "we've only been dating a few months and OMG everything we say is so interestingggggg" dates. One of our most memorable dates was at a hole in the wall near Kyle's old apartment. We had sparkling conversation, clearly I looked amazing, and we had the most amazing fish tacos I've ever eaten in my life. 

We only got to have them once, as the place went out of business not long after (this place rotates owners every few months and never stays any one establishment for any longer than that), but I still haven't forgotten about the tacos and the newness of our relationship. 

So, when Jenna and I decided on shrimp as this week's TwoFaced ingredient, I felt inspired to recreate the tacos that I can't get out of my head for the guy who I could say the same about.
Yep, I went and got sappy, you guys. Aren't I adorable???

See what shrimp-y goodness Jenna is up to at The Paleo Project!

Sappy Shrimp Tacos
Makes about 8 tacos
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1 head Boston lettuce
  • Guacamole
  • Spicy mayo dressing (recipe below)
1. Season shrimp with salt, pepper, olive oil, and cilantro in a medium bowl and toss.
2. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a pan on medium high heat. Saute shrimp until cooked through. 
3. Use lettuce leaves as shells and fill with 4 shrimp, guacamole, and a drizzle of mayo dressing.
4. Serve with cole slaw (recipe below)

Spicy Mayo dressing
  • 1/4 cup paleo mayonaisse
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp shrimp boil seasoning (I found it at Whole Foods)
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Mix everything in a bowl. Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Cole Slaw
  • 1 package of cole slaw mix
  • 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3-4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1-2 Tbps. honey
  • juice of half an orange
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 dried cranberries
  • 3 Tbsp pine nuts or slivered almonds
In a large bowl, whisk olive oil, vinegar, honey, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Add cole slaw mix, cranberries and nuts. Toss well to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

6 comments:

Jenna | The Paleo Project said...

Who wrote this and what have you done with my friend Melissa? Looks amazing, but that I'm not surprised about.

Lotus Blossom Design said...

yum!!! xo

Anonymous said...

yum! that shrimp looks so succulent!

-shelly
Quiet Luxury


Lydia Armstrong said...

Awww. Bill and I have started doing this twice-monthly date night: he takes me out once a month and I make him dinner once a month. It's helped to make us feel "datey."

Amanda said...

Those look and sound amazing! I bookmarked this so I can put the ingredients on my grocery list. Thank Goodness I'm going to the store tomorrow! ;)

Meg O. said...

You got me wanting to rush out and make this. I need some shrimp tacos in my life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...