Tuesday, February 14, 2012

TwoFaced: Eggplant

"TwoFaced Tuesdays" is a joint venture between CupcakesOMG! and Jenna from The Paleo Project. Each week, we select one secret ingredient and put our own paleo spin on it. You can catch up on the entire series here. Also, if you have any special ingredient requests, you can always tweet us (@CupcakesOhMG and @ThePaleoProject) using the hashtag #TwoFacedTuesday.
When I started reading The Hunger Games last Friday, I surmised that it was a book about a girl on a diet. In a nutshell, that's not what it's about. That said, plenty of the characters do actually go hungry, which is ironic, considering I DEVOURED the whole book in about 6 hours. I mean, I hate to say it, but the 14-year-old girl inside of you is dyinggggggg to read this book, even if you are a 52-year-old man (Dad). 
For those of you have read it, you'll appreciate today's TwoFaced recipe: Eggplant chips. Not because eggplant is featured in the book, but like, because it's a disgusting food that, if it were all you had available to you, you'd have to figure out some way to make it edible in order to survive the bleakness of your District 12 life and imminent reality TV debut, in which you will literally fight to the death against other children. I'm dead serious, this book will stick with you for days...days, I tell you!!!
I'm just gonna put it out there--I think eggplant is gross. So I did what any self-respecting Panem citizen would do. I went outside the fence, bartered some squirrel meat for a loaf of day old bread, and got creative in the kitchen.*

*Disclaimer: I did none of these things, btw.
So yeah, I made chips again...sue me!! But I'm telling you, chippin' it up in the kitchen is the way to go when we're talking making inedible things edible.
Paired with a flavorful cilantro pesto, and you'll almost feel like you're dining with Effie Trinket and President Snow in the Capitol.
I'd apologize for using so many HG references, but the real tragedy here is that you haven't read the book. That is what I'm truly sorry for.

For more eggplant ideas, check out Jenna's take at The Paleo Project!!

Eggplant Chips with Cilantro Pesto
Adapted from What's Gaby Cooking

  • 1 large eggplant
  • 1 large bunch cilantro
  • 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
  2. Slice the eggplant into thin chips using a mandolin. Or a sharp knife if you're a boss like that.
  3. Place chips on cookie sheet. Lightly brush olive or coconut oil on each round, making sure not to soak them too much. Sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes. Flip each chip over, then bake for another 10 minutes, or until they're golden brown, not burnt. Or until your smoke alarm goes off. 
  4. Move the chips from the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Enjoy with cilantro pesto (recipe: put all the other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it reaches a pesto-like consistency).

11 comments:

Laura said...

yum!!! I'm looking forward to making these bad boys or girls...whatever floats. :)

whitney said...

1. i LOVE the mandolin that i bought

2. i used to LOATHE cilantro. but now i LOVE it. so i will have to try this. but i might add some jalapeno. i know you hate spice...so i won't make you try it.

bach party next week. lets make some food.

Mariel Torres said...

This looks scrumptious... thanks for sharing doll!

Jenna | The Eighty Twenty said...

another reason we were separated at birth, remember when I finished the HUnger Games and wrote an entire twofaced post set in the Arena??? You should go back and read it, you'll appreciate it so much more now. I think it was the one about pumpkin.

Anyway, even though you hate eggplant, those look like real chips. And I love eggplant. And chips. Good job. Did kyle like them?

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

OMG you love HG. So many references. I love it! I don't really like eggplant, either.

Lydia Armstrong said...

You had me at cilantro pesto.

I like eggplant. I think it's pretty good. I'll probably never make these, but I'll always wish that I had.

RaindropsofSapphire said...

That looks delicious! I'm a blogger too, it would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime :) :)

www.raindropsofsapphire.com

Lola said...

I really want to read the hunger games too! XX

Geneva said...

Loved this post.

Jamie said...

The Hunger Games references have just put your blog on another level of awesome. Can't wait to read what you think of Catching Fire-- that's my favsie of the trilogy. Oh, and will you be seeing the film??

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

ok these are brillant! BAH-RILL-IANT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...