The potato substitute is cauliflower, what else? And the coconut milk adds all the richness of cream and butter without any of the dairy. The sauteed onion gives the cauliflower just enough sweetness to balance the saltiness of the bacon. Oh, and did I mention? It tastes exactly like loaded baked potato soup and IT'S DELICIOUS!!!!
Loaded Baked Faux-tato Soup
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 strips bacon
- shredded cheese
- green onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- Fry bacon in a pan until crisp. Set aside.
- Steam cauliflower until tender. While cauliflower steams, saute onions in bacon grease.
- When onions are transparent and cauliflower is tender, add them to a blender with the chicken stock, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste. You might need to add more coconut milk or salt and pepper.
- Blend until soup reaches your desired consistency. It should be thick, but, ya know, soupy.
- Top with cheese, crumbled bacon bits, and chives.