After a week in Ireland eating potatoes (on the side of my potatoes) and two weeks of eating out to avoid creating more clutter in the midst of a move, I'm ready to get back to my paleo meals. Like any addict though, I'm gonna have to ween myself off
crack flour and sugar slowly, lest I suffer from night sweats and bouts of withdrawal-induced shock. What better way to trick my body (and tastebuds) into thinking we're not kicking these bad habits any time soon than with a paleo version of pizza??
I imagine I'll be making iterations of this non-stop over the next several weeks.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust For People Who Have Souls
Makes one pizza crust, roughly 8 large slices
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. "Rice" the cauliflower by chopping it into small chunks and pulsing quickly in a food processor until it looks like short grains of rice. Don't overpulse or you'll puree it and that's no good. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower on a cheese grater as well.
3. Microwave cauliflower "rice" for 8 minutes. Don't add any water to this. There's enough water in the cauliflower.
4. Mix cauliflower, cheese, egg, and seasoning with your hands. Start with one egg. If the mixture feels dry, add slightly more egg until it starts to bind or come together.
5. Pat the crust on to a WELL oiled/PAM'd cookie sheet covered with foil. You can make it any shape or thickness you like.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Top with your choice of ingredients (must be cooked) and place under broiler until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.