Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Easy Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Hey! Yeah, hi. Here I am. Over here...with the easiest, most delicious recipe for sweet potato hash browns...? Ya see me? Yeah. Hey.
I know a lot of people like to make roasted sweet potatoes for breakfast. The fancier of this ilk will even go so far as to make a "hash" of sorts. But I think we can all agree that hash browns are the penultimate use of tubers at breakfast. I don't know why it only recently occurred to me to shred sweet potatoes, but better late than never, right you guys?
AHHH!!! What is tha--oh. Oh god. That's my hand! Anyway, the secret to getting the perfect, crispy hash browns is to get out as much of the moisture as you can, so...that's what I'm doing here.
And then all you have to do is toss them in a pan with a little bacon fat and fry them up until they soften and brown.

The only thing harder than making these sweet potato hash browns is trying to relate to an episode of Girls as a 29-year-old.*

*I realize suggesting there is only one thing harder than making these is in direct opposition to the theme of this post, but it was late and my brain only works when it isn't looking at words, but, like, you get it???!

Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Makes about 4 servings
  • 2 large sweet potatoes (whatever that means to you)
  • 1 tbsp fat of your choice (I used bacon, but coconut oil, olive oil, or butter would all be fine)
  • salt to taste
1. Peel sweet potato and then grate on a box grater. I used the side that looked like it would make normal sized cheese shreds. 
2. Line a plate with a couple sheets of paper towels. Dump the shredded sweet potato on the paper towels. Using another couple sheets of paper towels, press firmly on the sweet potato, trying to absorb as much moisture as possible. (I did this two times)
3. Add fat to a skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add shredded sweet potato in a thin, even layer. Cook until crispy and browned on both sides--about 4 minutes or so depending on your stove.
4. Remove hash browns from pan and set on another paper towel lined plate. While hash browns are still hot, sprinkle generously with salt to taste. Serve hot with additional breakfast foods.

2 comments:

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

Well these look amazing. And you made me laugh when you surprised yourself with your hand. Also, I'm only 25 but I can't relate to Girls at all. Still love it, though. I think it's probably for the best that we can't identify with any of the characters.

Jane {In The Pink & Green} said...

Yummmmm! These look awesome. Also, I marathon watched Girls this weekend at my sister's apartment and yeah, I feel pretty far removed from the characters on that show...at the same time, seeing some of my sister's friends in NYC who are in their early 20's, I feel like many aspects of the characters are fairly realistic...aka their sense of reality is deluded. Oh well, I still love that show haha :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...