Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Loaded Baked Faux-tato Soup

So, everyone knows baked potatoes are delicious. They're even more delicious when they're fully loaded with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, and chives. Then some ridiculously smarty person came along and was all "baked potatoes are pretty good, but what if you could eat your baked potato with a spoon?" and that's how loaded baked potato soups were born. I'm leaving out a really important part of this story. It's the part where I showed up and was all "yeah, baked potato soup IS pretty good, but it's def not paleo, so I'm gonna make it paleo and then share it with all y'all and then rake in all the praise I get."
The potato substitute is cauliflower, what else? And the coconut milk adds all the richness of cream and butter without any of the dairy. The sauteed onion gives the cauliflower just enough sweetness to balance the saltiness of the bacon. Oh, and did I mention? It tastes exactly like loaded baked potato soup and IT'S DELICIOUS!!!!

Like basically everything I make, I'm gonna tell you this recipe is super easy, although this time, I won't be lying, because it is super easy! Steam some cauliflower, saute some onions, put 'em in the blender with some chicken stock, coconut milk, salt and pepper and blend until you get a soup-like consistency. This is soup, after all.
  Pour it in a bowl.
 Top it with some cheese.
 Add some crumbled, crispy bacon and some sliced green onion.
 And then...
 well...
 you know...
 ...I mean, you do know, right?
 Oh yeah, you know.
 And if you're anything like me, you can just mix it all together before you eat it.
Now, please to leave me your praise in the comments.

Loaded Baked Faux-tato Soup

  • 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 4-5 strips bacon
  • shredded cheese
  • green onion, sliced thin
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • salt and pepper
  1. Fry bacon in a pan until crisp. Set aside.
  2. Steam cauliflower until tender. While cauliflower steams, saute onions in bacon grease.
  3. When onions are transparent and cauliflower is tender, add them to a blender with the chicken stock, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste. You might need to add more coconut milk or salt and pepper.
  4. Blend until soup reaches your desired consistency. It should be thick, but, ya know, soupy.
  5. Top with cheese, crumbled bacon bits, and chives.

9 comments:

whitney said...

i told jenna this but i think you should hear it from me too...

whenever i read the word 'bacon' i automatically hear in my head that stupid dog on that 'beggin strips' commercial running all over the house saying 'bacon'...do you?

cheeriosandber

VANESSA said...

Yum yummy yum omg YUM!!!
I am totally going to make this! The fireman eats (almost) Paleo and he will LoVe this!! Great photo's too!

xxo. Vanessa (the gal)

http://fashiongalfireman.blogspot.com/

Lydia Armstrong said...

This looks so good. All this stuff looks so good!! So, are potatoes not paleo? Discuss.

Jenna | The Eighty Twenty said...

Oh my god, for me? For my birthday?! You shouldn't have. No, actually, you should have. Looks so great, almost great enough to upstage my birthday. .....

Hair Romance said...

totally making this x

kelly @ paper doll theory said...

hmm that looks delish! and really interesting that you substituted the taters with cauliflower. im intrigued..

love kelly

www.paperdolltheory.com

Anna Elder said...

I really need to get in on this cauliflower acting as potato action. I'm seeing it everywhere, this recipe tops the list. Yum.

Geneva said...

I just made this last night, and tonight I had one sweet potato, some coconut milk, red onion, and a few other things. Still made a great soup. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love your blog!please look at my blog because i'm new and i need your advise.

bye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...