Friday, July 22, 2011

I Know a Good Idea When I See One


You've heard that expression "march to the beat of your own drummer," yes? Well, I feel like I embody everything about that cliche. Except for the marching and having my own drummer part. I mean, just look at me! Red hair (by choice thankyouverymuch), fair skin, and a face full of make up in D.C., where  many ladies think a swipe of mascara counts as whore make up. Sigh. 

But it's not just physical. Oh no, I've been doing my own thing from day one. Whether it was abstaining from the devil's juice until the age of 21 (true story--Google+ me for the story. haha, JK! Nobody's using Google+) or starting a magazine in college when everyone around me told me it was a bad idea (it's still there btw, 5 years after I graduated, nbd), I've always felt free to be me and pretty stubborn against peer pressure.

That said, sometimes you see something someone else does and you can't help but think to yourself, "Screw paving my own way! I'm following in these well-paved footsteps." And that's exactly what I did when I saw this manicure on Cupcakes and Cashmere


It pretty much begins and ends with this Martha Stewart glitter. I mean, it's pretty and sparkly. I'm fairly certain that's the recipe for curing anything that ails you.

Essentially, the manicure is a simple one. Start by applying two coats of the nail lacquer of your choice. In this case, I (and Emily) used Essie's Mint Candy Apple. Then, pour a small amount of glitter, also of your choice (Emily and I used Martha Stewart's Aquamarine loose glitter. You can find it at Michael's.), into a small vessel. I used the cap. I'm resourceful.



Once your nail color has dried, apply a layer of top coat to the top half of your nail. Like Emily, I chose the ring finger.


Then, dip a small brush--I used a make up brush I never used--into your glitter and lightly tap it onto the wet top coat.



Apply a top coat to the rest of your nails and voila! Copycat-worthy nails!


I wouldn't blame you at all for copying me.

8 comments:

Jenna | The Paleo Project said...

my favorite color! my girl Abby and I were just talking about Essie colors. Her latest mani is Turquoise & Caicos and mine is Loophole.

Chelsea said...

When I saw that on Cupcakes and Cashmere, I fell in love too! Not too bad a trend to hop on board with.

Meg O. said...

As soon as I saw the photo, I was like "Cupcakes & Cashmere mermaid nails!!!!!" Wow, that's sad. Looks gorgeous!!

And I literally LOLed at the "Just kidding - no one uses Google+!"

Martaaa said...

I also loved this manicure as soon as I saw it! but haven't yet had time to get the glitter and make this manicure...:( but I bet it's just a matter of days. I love it too much not to make it;)
AND you've got a very nice blog:)

An Interesting Distraction

Unknown said...

Your manicure turned out great!
Love your blog- I'm following.

♥ Gina Michele
CrochetClouds.com

The PvdH Journal said...

Super cute! And of course Martha Stewart does her own glitter brand haha

PvdH -designer and illustrator

www.ThePvdHJournal.com

Annabelle Fleur said...

Wow, the polish color is so amazing! And of course the sparkles make it so much more special!!! I think I will try this one tonight:) Love your blog and now following! Maybe you'll have time to visit my blog:)

Kisses,
Annabelle
http://vivaluxury.blogspot.com

Damar Rivillo said...

what a great idea... I liked it so much that I'm holding the materials to do it... U'll see... thanks for share this and great blog, I'm follow u

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...