Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hello Cupcake, the review

Last Friday, the plan was to go try something new. Something different. Something unexpected.



Alright, so maybe trying a new cupcake shop isn't that unexpected, but it was supposed to be new.


However--there's always a "however" isn't there?


However, by the time I got home from work, I really didn't have the motivation to do anything other than go to the new salon I was checking out for my color consultation and watch the next movie in my Netflix queue, Renee Zelwegger classic New in Town (which was really cute, btw).
So, I copped out and ended up going to Hello Cupcake, my ol' realiable neighborhood cupcakery.

Excuse, I'm just getting on to my soapbox real quick. Oh...okay. I'm ready.


Why is it that everyone goes to Georgetown Cupcake? Is it because they came along first? Or because they were on Martha Stewart? Is it because everyoneandtheirmotherespeciallyhipstersandwannabefoodies told you it was the best in DC??

Look, I'm not trying to say Georgetown Cupcake isn't good--great even--but what I am saying is that there are other places in DC that offer an equally good, if not better, product. What I'm trying to say is that Hello Cupcake is that place.


So I dragged my friened Katie to my favorite cupcakery in DC since she'd never tried it before. We got the peanut butter blossom cupcake (chocolate cupcake with a peanut butter buttercream):



So light, so fluffy.
Pardon the pictures, they're from my iPhone. Yeah, I have an iPhone. Jealous?? (don't be, AT&T service sucks!)


So much anticipation....





Yes, this is happening...


Alright, these pictures just don't do this treat justice! The chocolate is chocolatey, but not too rich, and you wouldn't want it to be. With the appropriate 1:2 ratio of icing to cupcake, the creamy peanut butter frosting satisfies your need for the coma-inducing flavor combination. The cake is tender and moist, but not crumbly. The frosting...oh, the frosting. Light, sweet, creamy, perfection.
Katie only took a bite of hers, but as clearly documented in the pictures, I inhaled mine. Nevertheless, she noted the mild chocolate flavor with the thick frosting being the perfect pair. Oh, and did I mention they top it off with a Hershey kiss? Well, they top it off with a Hershey kiss!
If you take nothing else from today's review, just remember that there are other cupcakeries in DC...other WONDERFUL cupcakeries with OTHER flavors and MORE seating than, well, some other cupcakeries.
Will I go back? Oh yeah. I'd move in if I could, but apparently that poses some kind of health and safety concern.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...